This ‘half’ business sounds complicated doesn’t it? Don’t worry, it’s fine. The steps below will have you half trebling (if you’re using UK terminology; abbreviation = htr) or half doubling (for our US hookers; abbreviation = hdb) in no time! The fabric produced with this stitch is great for baby garments as it is still firm like the UK double (US single), but a little softer to touch.
1. Once you’ve made your foundation chain, wrap your yarn around your hook then insert it into the 3rd chain from the hook.
2. Wrap your yarn around the hook again.
3. Draw the loop through the chain stitch to give you 3 loops on your hook.
5. Draw the loop through all 3 loops on your hook to give you 1 loop on the hook. Your stitch is complete!
6. Complete the row by making one UK half treble (US half double) into each chain.
7. For the next row, turn your work, make a turning chain of 2, wrap your yarn around your hook and insert under the top 2 loops of the 1st stitch to start your new row.
Another row completed!